Friday, April 15, 2011

Awkwardly Innapropriate

Friday, February 26, 2010


Awkwardly Inappropriate

Sometimes I think I'm the only one that attracts the kind of person that doesn't know what a filter is. For example, the other day at work I was spot cleaning the glass cases and tables, etc. and a man walks by me to refill his coffee. I'd seen him around before with is 3 kids, the oldest of which comes in all the time on her own. (I'm guessing they're mid-teens, 8 or 9, and 7-ish..?) As he walks past me, he makes a comment about how he likes my nose piercing. (I have one of those tiny studs that's so small it looks like a spec of glitter.)  He asks the usual questions any middle age, married man with 3 children asks: "Did it hurt?", "Do guys ever get their noses pierced?", "Is that part of your nose cartilage?", etc.  So I try to politely carry on an awkward conversation about nose piercing with this middle age, married man with 3 children, and soon his 2 younger kids come up. He turns to them and asks nonchalantly, "Hey, how do you think I'd look with my nose pierced? Maybe a hoop or something?" to which the kids immediately and vehemently shake their heads and discourage the outrageous idea. The dad then presses the issue further by asking the youngest if he thought he should get a tattoo. The little boy very candidly replies, "No way! Mom would kill you!" The dad replies, without hesitation "What does it matter? She's divorcing me anyway." My jaw drops and eyes widen... He turns to me to confirm, "Well, she is!"

(And on that note... looks like there's a smudge on that table ...way over there...  that I've got to clean. Right now.)

No comments: