Friday, April 15, 2011

Just Breathe

In an effort to consolidate, I'm getting rid of a blog I started at the end of last year and will be keeping this one going. I have reposted the posts from the other blog onto this one. They are old, but hopefully still relevant.

******************

Sunday, January 10, 2010

It's a new year, people say, and a new me... Although I learned a long time ago that any resolution worth making and not breaking is probably something I should be doing anyway.

I brought in the new year asleep in my bed with my dog as fireworks mixed with gunshots (not to fear - I don't) and I rolled over on my other side moaning about how long people would shoot off firecrackers and how early I had to wake up the next morning.

I very rarely wake up early enough to really see and appreciate the sunrise, but when I do, I'm thankful for it. There's something about the stillness of the early morning and the crisp coolness of the dawn that makes me shiver with excitement and hope and, in a sense, peace. The world is still dreary and hasn't had a chance to taint the day.  I wish we could live in serene moments like that. I think the world would be a much kinder place, much more patient, if we all learned to appreciate the sunrise. I think if we all stopped for just three minutes, long enough to take a deep breath, long enough to realize that if the sun can keep rising and setting despite our cynicism, despite our irritability, impatience, deadlines, meetings and our lists of somewhat managed mass chaos... maybe then we might realize that the world does not revolve around us, despite what it may sometimes feel, and that our problems really aren't as big as they seem, and that for better or worse, tomorrow will come and we will have a chance to begin again.

I, for one, rather love the idea of a clean slate.

No comments: